Expectations and application
Primary school ambassadors project
As a result of the positive experiences of previous participants of being involved in ambassadorial activities and the increasing demand in primary schools for ways to support intercultural understanding, our courses now include an element of practical outreach work for all participants. The aim is to bring an authentic element of German culture to primary schools through participants as ambassadors, and to give them an opportunity to share your experiences and learning with the wider community and to inspire primary pupils. Before the start of the course participants will need to contact a local primary school for which they will prepare a small project (e.g. a workshop or a presentation) after their time in Germany. After the course, they go into the primary school and share their experiences with the pupils. Former participants have reported that this was an exciting and rewarding experience with benefits for not only them but also the primary teachers and pupils. On completion of their project, participants should provide us with brief feedback on the outcomes.
On returning to the UK, participants are required to submit a report to UK-German Connection and the PAD, which will be published on our website. It should include highlights of their time in Germany and be written in German. You can read reports from former participants on the Scholarships feedback page.
Spread the word in school
Participants should also tell others in their own school about their experiences, for example giving a talk in an assembly or writing an article for the school magazine.
The application process is now open. Please download and complete the application form. Four copies of this need to be submitted, along with four copies each of:
- a 300-word essay in German on one of the three topics below
- a letter of endorsement from your teacher
- a piece of recent marked class- or coursework (draft one only, with the teacher's original corrections) that you have completed in German. You should sign and date your essay and your class- or coursework.
Please click here to download the 2013 application form (Word document).
Please click here to download the teacher endorsement form (Word document).
2013 applicants are required to write an essay on one of the following topics as part of their application. The essay should be in German and around 300 words in length.
1) 2013 ist das europäische Jahr der Bürgerinnen und Bürger und ihrer Rechte. Wie soll das Europa der Zukunft aussehen und was soll es für seine Bürger tun – und umgekehrt?
2) Warum lohnt es sich deiner Meinung nach Deutsch zu lernen?
3) Welche Auswirkungen könnte die Eurokrise deiner Meinung nach auf die deutsch-britischen Beziehungen haben?
The deadline for applications is 11 March 2013.
Health and Safety on the Scholarships Programme
To read more about the health and safety procedures in place on this programme, please click here.
If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please contact Marta Piwowarski at UK-German Connection.
Tel: +44 (0)20 7824 1572
34 Belgrave Square