Did you know that women’s football is really popular in Germany?
Germany has one of the most successful women’s football teams in the world! They have won the Women’s World Cup twice (2003, 2007) and the European Championships eight times.
The most famous female player all of time is Birgit Prinz, the German captain, who has scored more than 120 goals for her country.
In 2016 Germany won their first Olympic Gold medal, beating Sweden 2-1 in the final.
The 8th Women’s Football World Cup took place in France in 2019. Sixteen national teams, including England and Germany, competed against each other, and 146 goals were scored during the competition. It was also estimated that 1 billion people worldwide watched the tournament. That’s a lot of people!
Unfortunately though, the German team was knocked out in the quarter finals by Sweden, who later beat England too! The USA then went on to win the competition.
Although Germany didn’t manage to win this time round, they are still ranked second in the world!
Did you know …?
- Even though women’s football is a big sport in Germany, most players still don’t earn very much money and have to have normal jobs, too.
- Women’s football became an Olympic sport in 1996.
- Germany is only country to have won the men’s World Cup and the women’s World Cup in football.
- In 1989 the German women’s football team won the European Championship. The prize for each player was a coffee set! In 2017, the prize money for the champions was over 1 million euros!
- Interested in football? There are lots of games and quizzes for you to try out on the Double Club: German website.
Words Ahoy! · Wörter Ahoi!
|(der) Frauenfußball||women’s football|
|die Weltmeisterschaft||world cup|
|das Fußballspiel||football match|
|der Pokal||cup / trophy|