Find out how to make a tasty German birthday treat
Do you know what kalter Hund means?
That’s right! – ‘cold dog’. Doesn’t that sound tasty?
In fact, it’s a kind of cake made of chocolate and biscuits, and it’s really lecker (delicious). You don’t even need to bake it.
How to make kalter Hund
Before you start, make sure you get an adult to help you!
You will need:
- 250g butter
- 2 eggs
- 100g sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar / 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 50g cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 50g chopped almonds / walnuts (optional)
- 50g chopped raisins (optional)
- 300g rich tea biscuits
- Beat the eggs.
- Mix the eggs with the sugar, vanilla sugar / vanilla essence, cocoa and milk.
- Put the butter in a saucepan and melt it slowly at low heat.
- Pour the mixture of eggs, sugar and cocoa into the saucepan and stir gently for 10 minutes, without boiling.
- Turn off the heat. Add the raisins and almonds / walnuts and stir the mixture. Your chocolate mixture is now ready.
- Take a baking form and grease it well. Make a layer of biscuits at the bottom. Pour on a layer of the chocolate mixture. Then, put another layer of biscuits on top, and add more chocolate mixture. Keep on making layers of biscuits and chocolate until you run out of ingredients.
- Allow the mixture to cool down, then put it in the fridge for four hours.
- Your kalter Hund is now ready! Serve in small pieces – it’s really rich!
Remember to keep the kalter Hund you don’t eat right away in the fridge – otherwise it will melt and turn into goo.