Magical Christmas Trips
Funding for intercultural and educational visits for primary and secondary pupils.
Give your primary pupils the chance to experience Germany’s Christmas culture in a real-life setting! These four-day visits give them the chance to meet German children of the same age and get involved in seasonal intercultural activities.
This programme provides primary schools with the opportunity to further develop their link with a German partner school by providing funding and a framework for schools to run their own visit to their partners in Germany.
While participating schools organise the trip themselves, UK-German Connection will provide comprehensive guidance, support and templates, as well as financial support for the trip.
As part of this programme, pupils from a nearby secondary school work alongside the primary pupils and support them as mentors before, during and after the visit. The mentors have the chance to practice their German and develop their skills as young leaders, as well as meet pupils of their own age in Germany.
When and where should the trip take place?
In the run-up to Christmas 2018 in your partner school’s city, town or village.
Who is the trip for?
The programme should include:
• a visit to your primary partner school to work with them on seasonal intercultural activities
• getting to know your partner school’s area / visits to historical or cultural sites
• visits to the Christmas markets
• other Christmas activities (to be agreed on between the schools and UK-German Connection)
Secondary pupils: we recommend taking approx.5 secondary pupils to act as mentors. Mentors should
- be aged 16-18 (England /Wales: year 11, 12 or 13, Northern Ireland: year 12, 13 or 14, Scotland: S4, 5 or 6)
- have an interest in and experience of Germany and German
- have a strong interest in and experience of being ‘young leaders’, and have the necessary skills to act as mentors.
- be committed to taking an active role in all programme activities including pre- and post-trip activity.
Schools should decide on the number of accompanying teachers from each participating school (we suggest 3 teachers in total from both schools).
What should the programme include?
UK-German Connection will provide funding of up to £10,000 (up to 75% of the total visit-related costs) towards travel to and from Germany, local transport in Germany, accommodation, full board and activity-related expenses.
Find out more
If you’re a primary school with a partner school in Germany and would like to find out more about this project, please don’t hesitate to contact us.