Find out how to make this southern German speciality …
Pretzels are very popular amongst German kids, especially in southern German regions where they are known as Brezn. In northern Germany, they are known as Brezel. Why not try out this recipe for pretzels for yourself? They are delicious and best eaten when they are still warm.
Before you start, make sure you get an adult to help you!
You will need:
- A mixer
- A mixing bowl
- A kitchen knife
- Baking paper
- A basting brush
- 250 g wholemeal flour
- 120 g butter
- 6 tablespoons of milk
- A pinch of salt
- Coarse salt or sesame seeds to sprinkle
- 1 egg yolk
Making the Pretzels:
- Preheat the oven
- Put the flour, the butter, the milk and a pinch of salt into the mixing bowl and mix them together until the dough is smooth.
- Form the dough into a roll and put it into the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Cut the dough into lumps of about 3 – 4cm and roll each piece into a very thin rope (a little bigger than a pencil).
- Fold the dough into a U-shape. Bring the ends together and twist them to the shape of a pretzel.
- Lay them on a greased baking tray.
- Mix the egg yolk with one spoonful of water and brush the mix over the pretzels. Sprinkle with coarse salt or sesame seeds. Put in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes.
Then … eat and enjoy!
Words Ahoy! · Wörter Ahoi!
Find out more about pretzels!
Find out more about healthy living.