Host a Teacher from Germany
Due to travel restrictions and ongoing uncertainties, the Host a Teacher programme is currently being offered on a virtual basis until actual visits are possible again.
For further details on how virtual visits can work, please read on. You can also contact us to find out more.
The deadline to register to host in 2020-21 has now passed. Schools wishing to apply to host a teacher in 2021-22 can do so from July 2021.
Would you like a boost of authentic German cultural input in your school? Through the Host a Teacher from Germany programme, your school can host a German teacher (virtually or face-to-face) for one, two or three weeks during the academic year, at no cost.
All schools and further education colleges in the UK can take part. The programme is open to teachers of any subject and German does not need to be offered at your school; visiting teachers are either teachers of English or have good knowledge of the English language.
UK schools can be matched with a German teacher on the basis of a hosting (application) form or can host a teacher, who is known to them, e.g. from a partner school.
Hosting options - virtual and actual visits
These take place for either one, two or three weeks during the school year at a time to suit you and your German visitor.
You can host a teacher virtually at any time during the school year. Virtual visits can be planned as a one-off activity or as a series of activities over a longer period of time (eg over one month or term).
What could a virtual visit look like?
Once you have been put in contact with a German teacher and agreed on a time frame for your virtual visit, you can think about which digital activities and projects would work for your schools, such as:
- presentations by your ‘visiting’ German teacher about Germany, their area or life at their school or by your school about the United Kingdom, your area or life at your school
- interactive workshops from a German/British perspective on any curriculum subject
- tutoring sessions delivered by one teacher working with one or more pupils learning German or English
- bilateral activities, such as sharing best practice between teachers as part of CPD or project work on different themes.
The virtual activities could involve one teacher or a group of teachers from each school, a group of pupils or a class and a teacher from the other school, or even one class or study group from each school with their teachers as moderators.
What could we get out of hosting a teacher from Germany?
Hosting a teacher from Germany, either virtually or face-to-face, can provide you with:
- a boost of authentic German culture brought to your school by a qualified teacher from Germany
- joint thematic learning: both sides can benefit from discussing educational and curricular themes together from UK and German perspectives
- the opportunity to broaden horizons, break down any existing prejudices, and increase pupils’ intercultural awareness and understanding
- linguistic teaching support: pupils and teachers are able to practise their German speaking and gain confidence in conversing in the language
- professional development: teachers gain new insight into the German education system, discuss educational issues and are able to reflect on current practice
- a chance to discuss and develop a potential school partnership for future project activities
Vetting and support
All visiting teachers are fully-qualified and vetted under the German system. Further information on vetting and criminal record checks is available on Health and Safety: Host a Teacher from Germany. More information will be provided to all participating schools.
We will also provide you with practical tips and support about how to get the most out of the (virtual) visit for both sides.
Accommodation (actual visits only)
Visiting teachers either stay in host families (if your school is in a position to offer this), or in a local B&B. The visiting teacher pays the host family £150 per week for board and lodging. Further details about accommodation is available in our Host a Teacher from Germany 2020-21 – programme information for UK schools.
On the basis of the application form, you will be matched with a teacher from Germany, taking into account your school’s context and profile as far as possible. However, an exact match in terms of school type and subjects is not always possible.
Schools interested in hosting a teacher from Germany in 2021-22 will be able to apply from July 2021.