Host a Teacher from Germany
Our Host a Teacher Programme is running in 2020-21 and we now accept applications from schools. Apply by 18 September 2020 to host later in the autumn term, and 1 December 2020 to host in the spring and/or summer term of 2021.
Would you like to have authentic German cultural input in your school? Through the Host a Teacher from Germany programme, your school can host a German teacher for one, two or three weeks during the academic year, at no cost. Find out how your school could benefit!
All schools and further education colleges from the whole of the UK can take part. The UK coordinating teacher does not need to be a teacher of German, and German does not need to be on the school’s curriculum; visiting teachers are either teachers of English or have good knowledge of the English language.
Please note that any arrangements made through the Host a Teacher from Germany programme may be subject to developments in the situation regarding Covid-19 and Brexit. We are monitoring developments together with our partners in Germany and will inform you of any updates which may affect the programme, as soon as we can.
- A boost of authentic German culture brought to your school by a qualified teacher from Germany
- Joint thematic learning: both sides are able to benefit from discussing educational and curricular themes together and gain a new perspective
- The visit helps to broaden horizons, break down any existing prejudices, and increase pupils’ intercultural awareness and understanding
- Linguistic teaching support: pupils and teachers are able to practise their German speaking and gain confidence in conversing in the language
- Discussion and reflection: teachers gain new insight into the German education system, discuss educational issues and are able to reflect on current practice
- A chance to discuss and develop a potential partnership for future project activities
UK schools can either be matched with a German teacher on the basis of a hosting (application) form or host a teacher who is known to them, e.g. from a partner school.